Sunday, September 9, 2012

Yearly Membership

Why are fitness memberships so expensive?  I recently had the urge to sign up for a fitness class but have been quite discouraged after looking at the costs.  In general I am content with my elliptical machine, and I do walk often out of necessity but things like power walking and water aerobics have fallen by the wayside.  I've practiced pilates off and on for years from home, I love my dvd, but I thought if I enrolled in a class I would do it more consistently but the costs are no joke.  Either you enroll somewhere specifically geared to pilates or at a gym that offers the classes, and either way the costs are €200-€400 a year, if not more.  I am a stay-at-home mom, I can't dish out that kind of money on exercise, especially considering the entire family is signed up for other activities throughout the year (the combined costs really add up). 
The other day as I left the grocery store I heard this incredible music outside, quickly I realized it was coming from a dance studio.  Then a new idea popped into my head, I could sign up for adult street dance classes, I could get in shape and have fun at the same time.  Again I jumped behind the computer, looked up the dance school, and again I was disappointed with the costs, €300-€400 a year.  Realizing I wasn't going to spend the money, I thought I should buy a new exercise mat to help encourage me to do pilates more often, our hard living room floor isn't very inviting.  But again I was shocked at the costs, they want at least €25 for a yoga mat, what?  Either I'm the biggest tightwad in the world or everything is overpriced these days.  I guess for now I'll stick to my cross-trainer (elliptical machine) and pilates dvd, they're already paid for!  And if I can somehow get myself back in the routine, I need to get my butt to water aerobics because that only costs €2 a pop thanks to the yearly swim pass I already have for the city pool.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, gym memberships are outrageous. Sometimes your local park & rec offers classes for a great price.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am now a follower.
    http://www.thesexysinglemommy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be hard to find interesting ways to exercise cheaply. I couldn't imagine paying for gym memberships or classes--I like to bike, so I just cycle around on random streets. Of course even a bike costs money! DVDs and doing silly exercises on your living room floor is probably the cheapest way to go. That's the way I do Pilates too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments... I'll be sure to check back in at your blog soon! :) Danica

    ReplyDelete