#1 : 1-2 inches of stones at the bottom of each vase for drainage
#2 : fill the vases 1/4-1/3 full with soil
Wow, it was seeming simple at this point, I figured I'd been done in no time. Next was bringing all of the plants outside. I kept them inside away from the cold as long as I could. With all of the plants in a row, I now had to decide how I wanted to sort them. Some of the original combinations I had in mind weren't going to fit, but no biggie. Plants grouped near their destined containers, I was ready to continue.
#3 : transfer the plants to the vases
I've transferred plants before and I must admit it wasn't always a success. But to be fair that was when I was transferring them from one pot to another, not from the plastic store containers to a pot. It was here I hit my first snag. The level of soil wasn't deep enough for the plants, hmm. Then once I had the plants in the vases I realized there was little space over to add soil & moss between them. And a couple of the plants were harder to work with than I thought, especially the Jelly Bean plant, pieces kept breaking off and going throughout the vase. And the Aloe-ish (I have no idea what it is but it's sharp) was hard to maneuver around thanks to it stabbing me the entire time. But most of the other plants I chose worked great, at least I hope. Now it was time to move on to the moss, but I had run out of time, I needed to run to the school and pick up my 4yr old for lunch. (They often eat lunch at home here in The Netherlands.) I lugged the now filled and obviously more heavy vases back inside, I didn't dare risk leaving them too long out in the cold and I wasn't sure when I would actually get back to my project. A couple hours later, I was ready to add the last thing to the terrariums, and yes, I carried all 5 of them back outside again.
#4 : cover soil with moss
O.k., I've never worked with moss before, I had no idea what I was doing. After tearing a few pieces off and placing them in the vases I noticed the layer of moss below the top layer was actually moister & healthier. I left the top layer on for protection from the cold and then worked with the layers below. Since I have 0 understanding of moss, I've decided to hold on to the crate (yes this means storing in the house for a while) for at least a week. Just in case the moss in the terrariums die I have back-up.
#5 : water the plants, soil, & moss
The terrariums are put together & watered, and now sitting on my dining room table drying and acclimating to their new environment. Most likely tomorrow, I will find them permanent places within our apartment.
Yes, I did it! Do they look like the ones I saw online, ummm, well, my own version, let's just say that. Check back soon for Creative Mission - Part 4, and I'll show you the result as well as give you some extra pointers!
Bye! Dag! Adios! Namaste!