Monday, January 23, 2012

Popping Up

Since I get to experience Eindhoven mostly on foot I have the time to notice new things popping up all around town.  A funny thing I've noticed over the last few months is this sign!
What does it mean?  Is it a "no drinking zone", is it a "no glass zone"???  I've been on a mission to find out the meaning but so far no one can give me an answer.  I searched online and found similar signs but not this one.  Eventually I stumbled onto a local website "Eindhoven Dichtbij" and they too seemed to be asking the same question as me.  They had put out a request for photos of this sign and coincidentally I have some.  I emailed my photos to them and now I'm hoping they can help me in my mission.  And other than the beer glass popping up all over town so are these small electronic trash cans.  When they first installed the electronic trash cans near our apartment I swear it only let you swipe your card (stadpas) once per day, per container.  That doesn't sound bad unless your klutzy like me, I've had it close before I managed to get the trash bag in, which means I have to return home with the same trash I took out.
Like so often yesterday I set out with enough trash for two containers, the first bag went fine but when I turned to the 2nd trash can I realized someone else's trash was stuck in the machine!  I tried shaking it loose but nothing.  Instead of returning home with trash I decided to try my card on the 1st trash can again, and surprise, surprise it opened.  Now they truly are convenient.  Everywhere I go in the center of town I see them popping up, but do I really need one right outside of my apartment.  We received a letter in the mail from the city informing us they will be removing the parking spot in front of our apartment and installing an electronic trash can.  I'm not super pleased, I was happy with the two in the adjacent parking lot.  I wonder how this is going to affect selling our apartment?

2 comments:

  1. Danica!!! Hi! I so glad I found that you have a blog. I miss our sometimes rare, but enjoyable walks back to the Centrum from Mums & Tots. :-)

    We were required to use these trash cans for most of the time we lived there. And luckily there was never a limit of one bag/day for us. I don't know what I would have done. With two kiddos and all of their diapers we had (and have!) a lot of trash. And there were definitely a few times where it got full and there were bags piled around the garbage. Not pretty...

    Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danica! the signs mean no alcohol. Anything with a red circle around it means 'not allowed'. It makes no sense to me, coming from the USA where if they don't want you to do something they put a slash through it... circling it in red seems like it is being highlighted! Anyway, the beer glass means any open container of alcohol. So basically, no drinking there allowed!

    ReplyDelete