Thursday, November 1, 2012

Fresh Veggies

While driving from one town to the next you can often find great fresh vegetables, flowers, or honey stands on the side of the road.  I've often thought about popping by one, but generally if we're passing one we're lost or in a hurry and after that I quickly forget the location.  Another blogger here in Eindhoven recommended Oirschot or Riethoven for fresh vegetables or eggs.  Now that I actually had a direction to drive (and my husbands car for the day), me, my tot, & my dog set out to the village about 30 minutes from where we live.  I knew exactly what I wanted to buy, winter veggies, but for the life of me I couldn't find a stand in Riethoven... I did come across flowers though.  Besides just wanting fresh veggies other than from the super market, I also wanted to get my tot & dog out of the house, we had been cooped up due to a light case of chicken pox.  So, I wasn't going to give up.  Instead of taking the highway home, I decided to drive through every small town on the way back until I found them.  Luckily it didn't take long!  In the village Walik on Hobbel (the street) I found a great selection of winter veggies ranging from pumpkins to winter squash, jackpot!  My daughter was also fascinated with the selection and the fact there was no cash register.  They used the honor system, collect your own veggies and put the money in the milk canister hanging next to the bags.  I bought her a small pumpkin to decorate... just because we don't make a big deal about Halloween at home doesn't mean she's clueless, she sees it on tv.  And for dinner, I bought two different types of winter squash.  To be honest, I didn't get around to cooking the squash for a couple days, it takes a lot of oven time and my schedule has been pressed lately.  But the cold weather kept them fresh, so I just left them on our back terrace until I was ready to cook.  I have never cooked or eaten winter squash before, so it was an all around new experience.  I asked my mother in The States for cooking suggestions and then the next time my mother-in-law visited (also a big vegetable fan) I served up a beautifully baked squash.  It was good, and I barely did a thing, and surprisingly enough, it tasted a lot like sweet potatoes (something I ate a lot of in Florida).  I still have one more squash to prepare and no one to help me eat it.  I guess I can always blend it into my tots veggies, she might not notice.  This is what Autumn is all about, enjoy the photos!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun day trip. I've never eaten squash before either and I'm glad to know you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really tasty and made the dinner table look gorgeous. It looked like I put a lot of work into it, when I only cut it in half and put it in the oven! :) Danica

    ReplyDelete