Monday, October 1, 2012

Movie Time

Well, it's that time again, to tell you what I think about some of the movies I have watched recently.  It's been a few months since I wrote the Chick Flick post... this time around the movies are bit more action packed. 

I'll get right to it and start with my favorite movie of the past few months, The Bourne Legacy.  Usually I don't jump into a series part of the way through, I prefer to watch the movies in sequence so I have a clue as to what is going on.  But since they changed the lead in the Bourne series, I thought I'd give it a shot (plus Jeremy Renner usually does well in movies except for his lame role in The Avengers).  Never once did I feel lost while watching the movie, sure I might have understood the back story better if I had seen the first 3 but from beginning to end it held my attention.  I highly recommend you also give it a chance, if you like butt-kicking, high speed action, save the girl, kind of movies.  I also felt Rachel Weisz did a great job, and I look forward to the next Bourne movie.  Because the way it ended, there's bound to be a 5th movie.  Will I watch it?  Of course and at the theater!

Then of course there's The Hunger Games.  Don't hate me but I don't get all of the hype.  Sure it was good, interesting concept, I especially liked the costumes.  But great, no... this series is being compared to Harry Potter & Twilight, I'm just not seeing it.  Maybe it's because the male lead, Josh Hutcherson, just didn't cut it for me.  To be honest, I actually paused the movie halfway through and watched the rest a couple days later (not a good sign).  I guess if I had read the book I might understand why he was cast but for me he didn't add anything extra to the movie.  Now, Jennifer Lawrence, she has a bright future ahead of her (which reminds me, I should probably get around to watching X-Men: First Class, considering I've seen the rest of the series).  Do I plan on watching Catching Fire when it comes out next year?  Sure, but I might wait until it comes out on DVD.

Then there was the surprise, Disney's John Carter.  I didn't get the 3D IMAX experience, but it was still captivating.  You definitely have to like sci-fi and be able to handle monstrous beasts to get into the movie; luckily it played into many things I enjoy in a movie, even romance.  I was bit shocked it was a Disney movie, when I think of Disney I immediately envision the movies I watch with my toddler (mostly animated) so for them to put this out, I was happy (I'm a big Disney fan, from the theme parks to the cartoons).  I had never heard of the actor and actress playing lead, Taylor Kitsch & Lynn Collins but they did well.  It's not easy playing a martian princess or a civil war captain on Mars and also be taken seriously!  Sure the end is left open (like every other movie these days), but I don't really see a follow up movie happening.  Would I watch this movie again?  Probably!

Besides the above featured movie's I've seen my fair share over the summer.  Like ted, which was hilarious but you have to appreciate Seth MacFarlane's humor to enjoy it.  Often I found myself questioning things Ted was doing, then I had to remind myself, it's a talking bear anything goes.  And the must see movie for women this past summer, Magic Mike!  Did it have a great story line, will it win awards, no, was it worth seeing, yes.  There either needed to be more stripping & dancing and less story or vice-versa, but that didn't stop me from hooting & hollering in the theater!  Let's see what else, oh yeah, The 5 Year Engagement, boring, turned it off!  And last, Lockout.  Like so often most of the movie is shown in the trailer, what a shame.  And then there was the unexpected romance brewing in the movie, but it almost didn't seem appropriate, I wanted crazy inmates locked away in a prison suspended in space in 2079, not flirtatious banter.  Well, that's it for now, in a few more months I'll give you another movie update!

7 comments:

  1. I love the Bourne Series and can't wait to see the newest one...glad it got a good review :) And I'm not too worried about seeing the Hunger Games either...just not my kind of movie I guess. I never like the ones they rave about...lol!
    Magic Mike is on my list of movies to see too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops...logged into the wrong account...that's me above :)

      Delete
  2. I had great expectations for the 5 year engagement, as the producers are the same as for Bridesmaids, which was hilarious!
    I was pretty disappointed, though. A few laughs and very long winded.
    I hope there will be some nice ones for Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - thanks for all the reviews! I love the Bourne series with Matt Damon, and I was wondering how Jeremy Renner would do stepping in. I heard he did a good job. Will have to see it on DVD. I liked the Hunger Games - didn't read any of the books though. I missed Magic Mike at the theaters, too. DEFINITELY on my DVD list! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the Hunger Games but mostly because I think I loved the book SOOOO much! The motivations of Katniss are so much more clear coming directly from the 1st person perspective which is super hard to do in a movie. As someone who read the book Josh Hutcherson is NOTHING like the Peta I pictured. Apparently he's an indie actor with a great resume that really loved the series and wanted the part. I see the soft loveable side but not the hunky side he turns into in the book. Thanks for the reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As for the Hunger Games, I agree that it's no Harry Potter, but then I hated Twilight. I find it much more relatable than Twilight. Have you read the books? The movie was only so-so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really should read more often, I think the last book I read was The Help. But as a wannabe author I know how important casting can be, I really appreciated Stephenie Meyer's involvement in the movie series! Any of you have movie recommendations? :) Danica

    ReplyDelete