Monday, April 15, 2013

Birthday Season

It's birthday season again.  Starting in April we have 2-5 birthdays a month that we either have to recognize, buy a present for, attend a party, or all of the above.  And this lasts for about 5 months!  I do my best to get excited about parties, what's not to like about spending money to stand around and talk to strangers/acquaintances, ha-ha!  I'm not exactly the most social person.  But there is one person in my family who loves birthdays, my toddler.  Whether it's her own party or just someone in her class, she's excited, hands clapping, eyes twinkling, talking 90mph.  Wow, I wish I had that enthusiasm.  One thing is for sure though, she is motivating... there's no way she'd let you forget to decorate or buy a present if needed.  And almost every day she asks, "who's birthday is it today?"  That could also be because we have a b-day calendar next to our toilet.  To American's this probably sounds very strange, to a Dutch person this is quite normal.  In theory it's a great idea, you're guaranteed to go to the toilet every day, so there is no way you miss seeing any upcoming b-days.  In reality, it looks kind of strange, but hey, when you're integrating you jump on the bandwagon. 

Yesterday was the first of many b-day parties to come, and to be honest, it was wasn't bad.  The guests were friendly, the kids happy, the food was good, the weather great, and there was plenty to keep everyone entertained.  Oh, and when the 2yr old opened his gifts there was a big smile, which means the presents were worth it!  So I must say it's a good start to this years b-day season.  I'll have to try and remember to follow up on this post after birthday season, ha-ha! 

One thing I do like about parties, cake!  On occasion I miss American birthday cakes.  Cakes shaped like dolls & animals have been popular in The States for a long time, but it's within the past few years that they're catching on in The Netherlands.  So far we haven't bought one for our tot yet, but considering she's seen everything from elephants to Super Mario, I have a feeling we'll be searching for a cake designer in a few months.  If you happen to know anyone in the Eindhoven area please let me know!

5 comments:

  1. I've never heard of keeping a calendar by the toilet; mine is by the refrigerator. Hey, ya gotta eat, too, right ;)

    Do they sell those "Wilton" cake pans anywhere by you? They come in different shapes. Also, I'm sure you can find a website on how to make a certain shaped cake. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the fridges are built-in, so you can't hang things on them. Maybe in our next house we'll buy an American style fridge. :) Danica

      Delete
  2. For some reason, the fact that you keep your birthday calendar next to the toilet made me giggle. I'm not social either, but I do like a good birthday present;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any funny b-day traditions where you are living? :) Danica

      Delete
  3. Hi! I’m new follower of your blog and would like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/04/clever-chicks-blog-hop-32-crayon.html

    I hope you can make it!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete