Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Old Pics - Fishing

It's funny to look back at old pictures and see how some things change and some things never do.  When these shots were taken in the early 80's, fishing was a huge part of my life, I naturally took on my grandfather's hobby and he was happy to include me.  Whether I was out with him on the lakes surrounding town or practicing in my grandparents garage, fishing and boating were part of my childhood. 

What's changed... I can't bring myself to touch the worm much less kill it in order to bait the hook, I don't have a boat at my disposal, I don't own a fishing rod, my grandfather died in a boating accident, I don't play with dolls anymore (even though I did play with Barbies until I was a teen), I don't have bangs (I finally gave them up when I turned 20yrs old), someone else is making memories in my grandparents house, I moved countries, I'm not tan anymore (growing up in Florida you can't even help it), and my hair is a different color.

What hasn't changed... I still love water and boats, have a big imagination, live in jeans and cotton shirts, wear plastic shoes (gotta love Crocs), love to document life through pictures, want to pass on my childhood activities to my daughter (we've already started with photography and gardening), my love and close connection to my grandmother, the fond memories of my grandfather, my curiosity, and my pot belly!

Periodically I'm going to post old pics, and see what ideas flow through my fingers.

4 comments:

  1. Cute photos! I used to love fishing as a kid too. Since there wasn't an actual cache, we didn't leave anything. I am curious where it was though; I might have to see if I can email the person who created it or put a note on the web-site. It was fun, look forward to doing more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, it was your post "Making Memories" that got me thinking about old photos. It's great drawing inspiration from other bloggers. Thanks!
      Here's a link to the post for anyone unfamiliar with Intend to Live : http://intendtolive.com/2012/05/making-memories-and-keeping-memories/

      Delete
  2. Great pictures! I could get lost for hours looking through old photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! My grandmother has boxes and boxes of old family photos, I'm constantly asking her to scan them or mail them to me. :) Danica

      Delete