Saturday, June 2, 2012

Verbal Back-pedaling

Verbal back-pedaling, social blunder, there are many terms for saying something stupid and possibly offensive during a conversation.  And I am unfortunately highly prone to this!  I can't even begin to count how many times I have said something without thoroughly thinking it through during a conversation and it played on my mind for days.  (Note to self : think before you speak.)  I wonder if I should contact the person and apologize, I wonder if it went unnoticed, and in the end I often have to just let it go or I'll drive myself crazy.  It's so easy to say something stupid when you talk as much as I do.  When I'm comfortable, I talk.  When I'm nervous, I talk. 
And when I say something offensive I tend to keep digging the hole deeper, instead of just ending it right then and there.  I think, "oh if I say something more or just divert the conversation I can fix this!"  It never works and tends to make the problem even worse.  I really need to listen to myself when my head is screaming, "stop, just stop talking!"  So if you happen to be one of those people that I have said something stupid, offensive, or just plain idiotic to, I'm sorry, I truly meant no harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment